Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question to view the answer below





What services are available in my area?

We offer a large number of services around the country. To track down which services are near you, just use our Find a Service tool or call us on 020 7481 7600.



How do I get a referral to a service?

Each of our services has their own local referral procedure. To find out the process for your service, it's best to call them directly. They'll explain how it works and provide you with the support you need. Go to Find a Service to get the right contact numbers.



Will my details be kept confidential?

We treat all personal information in strictest confidence. We would only pass on information if we were concerned that you, or another person, might be at risk.



Who pays for services?

The government pay for us to deliver our services for a given period of time in a specific location. At the moment these commissions can be from a Local Authority or a NHS Clinical Community Group, Department of Health and HM Prison services. Usually your local authority or the NHS pays for the service. The services that we provide to offenders are paid for by the Ministry of Justice. If you receive direct payments or have a personal budget you can buy our services directly. For more information please contact your local service manager.



What type of services do you provide?

We provide a range of services for people with mental health needs, including:

  • Crisis management
  • Talking therapies
  • Mental health community services
  • Independent living
  • Residential rehabilitation
  • High support services
  • Specialist high support services



What are complex needs?

A person with complex needs is someone who has more than one need or who has been diagnosed with more than one condition.

Sometimes this is also called 'multiple needs', 'dual diagnosis, 'high support needs' or 'complex health and social needs'. For example, a person might have a mental health issue and a learning disability or a mental health issue and other social needs such as housing or benefits needs. The term can also refer to people who are harder to reach.



How can I get involved?

There are a number of ways. Every service has a dedicated involvement champion. It's their job to make sure your voice is heard and that you can get involved in the service we provide, so please talk to them. For instance you can:

  • Complete a feedback form
  • Gather tenants satisfaction survey
  • Get involved in networks and meetings.



Do I have to go to my General Practitioner (GP) first?

Your GP is your first point of contact to access most medical services. Your GP is also well placed to refer you to other local services.

Some Turning Point services accept referrals directly from individuals - but this can vary depending on the type of service and location. It is best to contact a service directly to find out more about local referral procedures. Just visit Find a Service to get hold of the right contact numbers.


What does it mean to be sectioned?

The majority of people who are supported for psychiatric treatment in a hospital setting are there voluntarily, meaning they give their consent before treatment is given and can leave when they want. When someone is sectioned they are 'detained' under the Mental Health Act 1983. This means consent is no longer required. The decision to section someone is never taken lightly - you can read more about the process in this easy to read document.



I am worried about my mental health - what should I do?

If you are worried about your mental health - we are here to help. There are a few things you can do:

  • Contact a Turning Point service near you using our service finder directory.
  • Visit your GP - explain how you are feeling. Your GP may refer you to a local service for suitable treatment
  • Talk to a friend or family member
  • Contact NHS Direct



How can I help if my friend or relative is displaying signs of mental distress?

If someone you care about has a mental health issue it can be hard to deal with. It can be upsetting and difficult to see them struggle, especially if you are a carer or a family member. We know that mental health issues have a wide impact on friends, family members and carers and we are here to support you to live your own life.

We can provide dedicated support services for carers - offering advice, support and in some areas respite care. You can do the following:

  • Let the person you care about know you are there for them
  • Support them to find suitable services to help them to manage their mental health issues
  • Offer practical help such as making a telephone call to a key worker or other person, or by going with the person to their GP or mental health centre


Back to top ^